Saturday, May 30, 2009

FC Barcelona - Triple





This has been quite a year for those of us who are loyal fans of Football Club Barcelona. (which is all our family except for one who remains a die hard Real Madrid fan...he was a gracious looser this year)  Barcelona won the Spanish Football league, the King's Cup and the European Champion's League crown.  That is sort of like winning three super bowls in one year! They are the first team in Spanish history to win all three! Some commentators are saying they are the best club team in history. Of course everyone in Barcelona says this but some of the British sportscasters are saying the same. 

It is hard to explain  just what football/soccer means to people in Europe. I read that soccer is like a religion in Spain only more serious.  I am telling you the truth when I say that it was easier & took less  time to get George permission to work in Spain than to get our 10 year old permission to play soccer with a youth club in Spain.  We had to get a 'release' from the US Soccer Association before he could play.  How crazy is that?

The day of the Champion's League final against Manchester United I went to lunch with a friend and we happened to choose a restaurant that had the game on a big screen TV.  I tried not to watch but my eyes just kept going to the screen.  Before they even brought our drinks, my friend insisted that we change places so that I couldn't watch TV.  She said I wasn't going to be any fun if my attention always went to the TV!  My boys texted me when Barca scored though! The final score was 2-0 Barca!

As I left for lunch I went downstairs to tell the boys goodbye just before the game started.  They both had on their FC Barcelona Jerseys, banners were strung around the room, Catalan flags were flying, the jerseys they weren't wearing were carefully placed on the couch as if they were other friends watching.....they were ready for the game!

The only thing that could have made this season better was being in Barcelona! 

Football club Barcelona - més que un club - more than a club!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. What fun to have your team win!I bet watching or hearing about the games always brings back fun mamories of your time in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jersey FC Barcelona 2009FC Barcelona, Barcelona, Barcelona Soccer, Barcelona FC, Nou Camp, Camp Nou, fc futbol barcelona, fc barcelona squad, fc barcelona wallpapers



    ReplyDelete