Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Nativity Scenes

I have a collection of nativity scenes from all our travels. I looked in Nepal and India but never saw any for sale. I was so excited when I got home and read an article in Mormon Times about the Hyde Family in South Jordan, Utah. They wanted to do something to help people....well I'll let you read it in their own words.

We wanted to do a little good in the world. While contemplating what we could do as a family project to teach our children about charity and serving others, we had a very inspired thought. We started buying Nativity scenes from artisans in poor or developing countries as a means of helping the artisans generate income in a way that preserved their dignity. We thought we might buy a few Nativities, but now we have many.
Along the way, we started buying extra Nativities from artisans we found via great miracles. We sold the extras to our interested friends. We thought it would be a small project, but the response has been so high that we have sold 2,600 Nativities from 90 artisans since 2005. Profits are given 100 percent to charitable causes and micro-credit projects in Third World countries that benefit the poorest people on the planet.

As I browsed through their on line catalog I found one from Nepal! I'm so happy to add this to my collection and best of all to know I'm helping someone in that poor, developing country. Isn't it a wonderful addition? I especially like Mary's long braid and the crowns on the Three Kings. The figures are made of corn husks and resin. Along with the nativity I received a thank you note:What a wonderful way to involve the Hyde children! I also got a picture of the artisans at work.

If you are interested in knowing more about Hyde family's charitable project, here is a link to their website. http://www.worldnativity.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment