Sunday, September 1, 2013

#8 Armando

Armando is our 8th foster dog from Guide Dogs for the Blind and our second 'active guide'.  We had him for 11 weeks while the person he guides recuperated from surgery.  I will admit that it was not 'love at first sight' for me.  But after having him for about one day I realized what a gem of a dog he is!  Sweet tempered, never barks, loves everyone and every dog, and very obedient!  What more could you want? To keep him from being tempted to beg, we decided to put him in his crate when we ate dinner.  After about the 2nd day of doing this, I realized that every single time I sat down at my table at any time of the day, for any reason, Armando headed right into his crate and stayed there until we told him  that he could come out.  Also any time I said "Crate", he immediately ran in!  What a smart boy!

 To make him happy I combined two of his favorite things: his Kong and baby carrots!
 This combination kept him entertained for hours!
Ok, here is his one 'naughty habit'!  If I got on the couch to watch TV, he thought he should be there too.  Perfect place to catch a little nap!  I only let him do it a couple of times though . I didn't want Guide Dogs to fire me as a Foster Care provider.   Doesn't he look comfy?
 Last Tuesday I got the call to bring him back to the campus for two days of guide review and then he was going back to his real life as a working guide dog.  We will miss him but are happy that he is back to doing what he was born and trained to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment