Thursday, January 29, 2015

Random Hellos

The "Be Better 52 Challenge" for this week is "Random Hellos"!  I've done a good job at being friendly and saying lots of hellos!  As I've thought about this I was reminded of a story my mother told me from my childhood.

My parents and grandparents grew up in a small town in the south, Lonoke, Arkansas.  In towns like Lonoke there are no random hellos.  You say hello to everyone because you KNOW everyone. Not only do you know their names, you know where they live, where they go to church, their parents and grandparents and brothers and sisters and cousins!  I read once that in a small town you don't need to use your blinker because everyone knows where you are going! That is at least partially accurate!

My Daddy was in the navy and we lived the first 6 years of my life in the northeastern part of the United States. Part way through my 1st grade year, Daddy got orders to move the family  to Sigonella, Sicily.  Because this was a new base, the housing was not completed so Mama and I moved to Lonoke to spend several months living with my Grandma Boyle while Daddy flew off to Sicily.
 After a few weeks my Grandma told my mother that she was really concerned about me. "Marilyn is just not polite.  She doesn't speak to people."

 Moma had to explain to her that in places like Brooklyn, Boston, and Providence, Rhode Island, people don't speak to strangers on the street.  They don't even say a polite hello.  If you do, you run the risk of being looked at like the nice southern fellow in this commercial who didn't understand 'polite' in Yankee territory.

So I'm sure this week Grandma Boyle is pleased that I am being very polite, southern style and 'speaking' lots of random hellos!




No comments:

Post a Comment