Sunday, January 9, 2022

A Good Year for Books

In 2021 I was one of the 5,757,979 people who participated in the Goodreads Reading Challenge. 309,972,709 books were pledged to be read. The average was 53 books. I pledged to read 45 and actually read 52 so I was a litle below average. I'm happy to report that most of the books I read were excellent. I thought I'd share a few of my very favorites.
A wonderful book about 2 doctors, one from Nepal and the other from Salt Lake City, who have changed the lives of so many people through the surgeries performed at the Himalayan Cataract Project. I highly recommend this very uplifting book.
For a change of pace book that will make you laugh and cry, try this one. I loved every resilient, resourceful senior citizen in the book. The descriptions of grief and loneliness interspersed with good humor were just so charming.
Perhaps you have to be from a small southern town to love this one like I did. I am from such a town and I could taste and see and smell and feel it! The writing is flowery but added to the flavor of the book.
I was fascinated with how the stories in this book were adapted to become one of my very favorite TV shows.
A book about the pandemic that reminded me of those first days and weeks in March 2020 when we watched the world change. I also had not heard of the vivid dreams that intubated Covid patients experience. So interesting!
This book is about a family's catastrophe and its aftermath. Finn, the main character, is such a wonderfully drawn girl. Her teenaged angst coupled with her love for her family plus her humor make her a total delight and the fact that she is so loveable and relatable add to the heartbreak of the novel. Happy reading in 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment