Saturday, December 30, 2023

Nativity Scene Fun

 When I was a little girl our family lived in Sicily while my Daddy served in the US Navy. I know that they didn't have a lot of money but they still bought a beautiful Italian nativity scene.  I loved to play with it when I was a child.  When my mother eventually gave it to me, she said that I was to allow my children to play with it too.  I think I objected some.  She had raised one little girl who was by nature quite gentle.  I was raising 1 gentle little girl but also 3 rambunctious boys. My mother was adamant that she wanted her grandchildren to be able to enjoy the familiar nativity story characters.  

And they did with some notable additions! Some years we had GI Joes attacking the stable or Teen-age Mutant Ninja Turtles sleeping by the manager.  Or He Man - Master of the Universe helping the shepherds. In spite of all that, it survived and now Isabella is playing with it.  She is more of a 'gentle' girl.

For some reason she loves putting baby Jesus on the top of the stable. I think that Mary, Joseph and one Wise Man are praying for his safe return.  Last year she told me a long story about 'mean shepherds' who stole the baby.  I guess they are up to their old tricks this year too.


I love that she gave Joseph and the angel baskets. I assume they contain presents for Jesus.
Or maybe their lunch??? I'm not sure.
Every child who comes to our house is fascinated by the Caganar in my typical Catalan nativity scene or 'pessebre'.  And Isabella is no exception!
She put him front and center while normally he is hidden somewhere in the scene.
In Barcelona the decorations often consist of a large model of the city of Bethlehem, more than just the typical manager scene.  At the Christmas market you can buy not only the traditional figures but Roman soldiers, women spinning or baking bread, men working....I was amazed by the variety.  You can also buy trees and shrubbery made of cork.  Hiding somewhere in each scene you will find the caganar. 
Mine is the traditional Catalan man with the senyera or Catalan flag around his chest and a Catalan shepherd's hat on his head.
And just in case you are unsure what he is doing, this view will leave no doubt.
Why you may ask? I've heard lots of explanations but I like the one my Spanish teacher gave me.
She says that it is to show our common humanity.
It doesn't matter if you are the King of Spain or a beggar on the street, this is a part of your life.
Sort of like the children's book, "Everyone Poops".

You can buy Caganar figures from every walk of life.
Politicians to football stars to cartoon characters!

Even our own politicians aren't spared.
I really wish I had bought one of these.
Leo Messi with his Ballon d'Or or his World Cup trophy
An interesting piece of Catalan culture!

I love mine.  I love the memories of going to the Christmas Market by the cathedral with friends and buying from the same two sweet older ladies, then carrying it all home on the metro.  

This is truly one of my treasures.


And if you are wondering the caganar is hiding behind the haystack!




















No comments:

Post a Comment