Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day Evening

I'm a bit late but I did want to post a couple of things about Mother's Day.

I remember when I was probably 9 or 10 years old and bought my mother a pillowcase for Mother's Day.  The bright shiny floral material was probably a bit gaudy but the sentiment was heart felt.
As a little girl I was so excited to give it to her.  A few years later I was embarrassed by the cheap material and the overly sweet sentiment.  I'm sure my reaction was a typical teenaged one!  I never thought more about the pillowcase and as far as I knew it had been thrown away.  When my mother died in 2009 and I was cleaning things out of her closet.  Guess what I found, tucked away in a box with scarves?  Yes, you guessed it!  The pillowcase! For more than 45 years she had kept that sweet memory of her little girl.  The poem no longer seems overly sentimental.  Truer words were never spoken....."for there's no other who takes the place of my Dear Mother."

I have been a lucky girl all my life to be loved not only by my own 'dear mother' but also by my dear Aunt Mary. To many of us she seemed like a second mother.  No one can take her place either!
I'm the little girl hiding behind all the fish!  I was 5 years old and Aunt Mary had come to Maryland to visit us.  She wrote on the back of this photo.  "Here are some fish we caught on our last weekend at Bessie's.  You would love this place.  Everyone fishes from the bank."  I remember going to the river and playing while they fished.  Daddy, Moma and Aunt Mary loved fishing!

This dishwashing one made me think of all the years of doing dishes with Moma and Mary.  Neither of them ever had a dishwasher.  I feel so blessed to have been loved and cared for by these two remarkable women for 56 years!  Like the poem on the pillowcase said....no other can take the place of my dear mother....and my dear Aunt Mary!



No comments:

Post a Comment