Monday, June 8, 2015

Making HIstory

FC Barcelona made history this weekend with their 3-1 defeat of Italian team, Juventus in the final of the Champion's League.  With that win they got their second 'Treble" which means that they won their domestic league title, the Copa del Rey (Domestic cup - FA Cup in England) and the Champion's League, which is a season long tournament among the very best teams in Europe.  Only 7 teams have managed this and no other team has done it twice.  FC Barcelona are the Kings of European Football!
The last time Barça won all three was in 2011 and I did 2 blog posts.


To try and give a bit more perspective on this accomplishment I'll share a few facts.  In the Spanish domestic league each team plays 38 games.  The season starts in August and goes through May.  The King's Cup is probably the easiest of the trophies to win.  There are only 9 games.  The Champion's League is a very difficult tournament.  If you make it to the final game you play 13 games.  Of those games Barça lost only 2!  In the quest to be crowned Champion's League Champion they defeated Ajax (Champions of Holland) PSG (Champions of France) Manchester City (Champions of England) Bayern Munich (Champions of Germany) and finally Juventus the Champions of Italy.

What is amazing to me is that there are some weeks when they play a league game on Sunday, Champion's League game on Wednesday, and another game on Saturday.  It just never stops for them.    During this season they have played a total of 60 games and have won 50 of those with only 6 defeats and 4 draws!  They've scored 175 goals and have had 38 scored against them.

They have been so much fun to watch this year! 
Well to say it was fun is not exactly true!  It was nerve wracking!  I can hardly stand to just sit and watch the games.  I usually clean out a closet or reorganize the kitchen.  If it is a really big game I will often follow the play-by-play on my phone or I-pad while I do something else and then when I know the score, I watch the game on our DVR!  I talk to myself all the time about how silly it is to be that worried about it but I am.  I'm like my mother.  When the Razorbacks played she would go outside and rake or clean up and then come in every once in awhile to check the score.  

Here are Matt and Scott watching the Champion's League Final:
Do they look like they are enjoying themselves? This is when Barca scored the 2nd goal!  Yes we  were all thrilled!
It's been a good year to be a FC Barcelona fan!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment