Thursday, March 5, 2015

Singapore - A 'Fine' City!

On our way to join the SE Asia tour George and I spent a couple of nights and a day in Singapore.  Ex-pats who live in Singapore refer to it as 'Asia-lite' because it is such an easy place for foreigners to live.  Another pet name for the city is a "Fine City" both because it is a beautiful or 'fine' city and because you can get 'fined' for many different things.  Here is the warning sign in the metro.
I resisted both the urge to eat and drink myself and to do a 'citizens arrest' on the guy who was drinking, horror or horrors, a bottle of water on the metro train.

Singapore is actually a very modern and beautiful city.  Also boasts the most expensive real estate in the whole world!
I especially loved the very unusual hotel behind me.  Looks like a big ship huh?  If I ever come back here I want to pay to go up to the park on the top!  Cool!
Thanks to British planning there are quaint bridges over the rivers which soften the look of the ultra modern architecture.  This particular bridge has a warning that no cattle or horses can cross!
One of the highlights of our day was a visit to the famous Singapore Zoo Night Safari.  I wondered how they would make it light enough for the visitors to see the animals but still dark enough to cause these nocturnal animals to be active.  The artificial lighting replicated bright moonlight perfectly so that the animals were out and about and ready to be photographed.

This is a fishing cat.  We never got to see him jump in the water but he was certainly intent on the water.
Can you find him staring at the fish in the water?
A spotted hyena
African gharail - looks like an alligator with a bulb for a nose

 Pelican
 Fruit bat - Yuck!!!  They are just giant flying rats!
 Cute little otter!
 Lions
 And a spotted leopard!
I love Singapore!  George comes here occasionally for work.  I'd love to come again....in fact, I'd love to live here! Dream on!  As I've said of myself before "Blessed or cursed by the wander fire."





No comments:

Post a Comment