Thursday, July 24, 2014

Jazzy Walker

We were warned when walking in grass in Kenya to always look down because there are snakes!  One day while walking back to my room I saw movement in the grass. Normally I'm not too squeamish about snakes but I was in Africa so I looked cautiously.  No snake but a big lizard that I later learned is a chameleon!
Here are a few chameleon facts:

  • have tongues that are 1 1/2 to 2 times longer than their bodies
  • as they catch their prey the muscle on the end of the tongue makes a suction cup
  • are similar to snakes with no outer ear but they aren't totally deaf
  • have a 360 degree arc of vision and can see in 2 directions at the same time
  • can change color in as little as 20 seconds
  • the largest are 30 inches long, the one I saw was about 10 inches
  • half of all the chameleons in the world live in Madagascar
  • And they walk like this

Those guys have rhythm!  I read that they walk and even climb trees with this movement so that they appear to be like leaves!  I should have put music to the video!




No comments:

Post a Comment