Monday, July 14, 2014

More elephants you ask????

When I went on safari this time I tried to tell myself that I didn't need more pictures of elephants! (unless they were wearing tutus and dancing ballet)  I must have 500 from my last trips to Africa. What can I say?  I just couldn't control myself!  So here are a few of my favorites! Can I call seven 'a few'?

The lodge where we stayed normally has a waterhole.  You can go down under ground into a viewing area where you can safely watch the animals from their level, just a few yards away.  We could see these elephants walking across the flat plains with their trunks up in an attempt to smell water.

Unfortunately for them the waterhole was dry!  I felt their disappointment.  In fact I think we were as disappointed as they were. The hotel staff said that they had a maintenance issue but that when we came back 'next week' it would be fixed!  Didn't help us too much and didn't satisfy this thirsty fellow either!
I particularly liked this big elephant who had her trunk touching the baby in front of her.  I'm not sure if it was just in affection or to protect the little one or to encourage the baby onwards, but it is really cute!  I learned that in elephant families they often touch each other.  Elephants who falter may be supported between two or more adults and fallen animals will be caressed, prodded and pushed in an attempt to raise them. 
When we first saw this rainbow I commented that all we needed was a elephant herd at the end of the rainbow....around the next bend we saw just that!
This playful little baby was so fun to watch.  At one point he looked at us, flared his ears and appeared to give some thought to charging at our van but decided that rolling in the dirt was more fun anyway!
Can you see the black and white bird in the bush just behind the elephant?  Little elephant amused himself for a long time by chasing after the bird and swiping his trunk in the bird's general direction.  It was hilarious to watch.  He was clearly having elephant play time and the bird didn't seem to mind at all.
I just like this shot of the elephant with his trunk resting on his tusks.  I don't know why they do that.  Our guide said that sometimes it is to let others know that he is coming in peace with no desires to steal a female.  I might believe that except this time the big guy was all alone.  Maybe his trunk was just heavy!


No comments:

Post a Comment