Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Grief


Tomorrow is the 2nd Anniversary of my mother's death. And it has been almost 2 1/2 years since my Aunt Mary died. I miss those two ladies. They have always been such an influence in my life. I thought the passage of time would lessen the sorrow but some days I think I feel worse than I did immediately after their deaths. I recently read this in a wonderful novel called "Major Pettigrew's Last Stand"

"It surprised him that his grief was sharper than in the past few days. He had forgotten that grief does not decline in a straight line or along a slow curve like a graph in a child's math book. Instead, it was almost as if his body contained a big pile of garden rubbish full both of heavy lumps of dirt and of sharp thorny brush that would stab him when he least expected it."

That expresses how I feel perfectly! I do smile thinking of them together in Heaven!

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog...I know tomorrow will be tough and hope you know I will be thinking of you! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those pictures Marilyn. I feel the same way about my dad. I was fine the first year and then after that I miss him more and more. I think it is just because they have been gone longer and we just miss them so much and it just grows. That is how it is for me with the kids and grandkids, after so much time away from them I start really yearning to see them and it just gets worse until I can see them for a few days. But when our parents are gone, the yearning keeps on growing and we can't get a fix. It will be a happy, happy reunion someday!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh what a wonderful lady she was. i bet grandpa was so happy to see her. i'm thinking of you too.

    ReplyDelete