Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Antarctica for Empty Nesters

Last night George and I gave a presentation to our Empty Nester's Family Home Evening Group about our recent trip to Antarctica. Rather than just boring them with our photos (we have 3500) we put together a presentation on the three main Antarctica Explorers - Amundsen, Shackleton, and Scott. Amundsen was the first to reach the South Pole after a carefully planned and executed journey. Scott's group reached the Pole second but all died before they got back to civilization. Shackleton did not achieve his goal of being the first to traverse Antarctica but his excellent leadership did get all of his men back alive, although they had quite a difficult time for a couple of years on the ice and on the ocean. This was our concluding slide:Little did I know that George had just that day lost his job! He didn't tell me until today. So now we are adapting and pressing forward! Looks like another "Come What May and Love it" kind of year!

4 comments:

  1. So sorry! I won't ask your plans because I'm sure you don't know yet. You and George will be in my prayers. Marilyn, you are a dear, wonderful friend, again I'm sorry you have this struggle to go through. I love the phrase "Come What May and Love it" I wonder when President Faust gave that talk if he knew what strength and hope it would give so many people for so many years? Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry Marilyn! What an unpleasant surprise. I hope things get settled quickly... as quickly as these things can be expected to go I guess! Who knows, maybe you can end up in Utah this time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Marilyn, My heart goes out to you and George. Yes, you will need to adapt and press forward...maybe backward to Boise. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn, I just saw this post. I've been a little preoccupied with our own job loss and upcoming birth of number 4. So I guess we're in a similar boat now? Warren's been out of work since Christmas. It's rough. I feel for you and will try to remember your positive attitude as we go through this trial! Sending my love and best wishes your way. Dorothea.

    ReplyDelete