Monday, April 22, 2013

Traditional Medicine Market

In Durban we toured the traditional medicine market. These 'doctors' are considered part of the South African medical system and a note from one of them is sufficient to excuse a person from school or work.
Looks pretty awful but some of these cures must really work!  Notice the tails....

 I'll take a nice white pill instead of a bark or root tea from some of this interesting looking stuff.

 I can't even imagine what they must do with some of these medicinal items!  And I don't think I want to know


I left the phone number just in case anyone wants to call Dr. Sibiya for this bone, skin medicine.  I wonder why the long bone is so noticeably out to the side....

 Notice the live chicken under the counter....
I wonder what wearing this stylish bead wig would cure.  I might consider wearing one of these!
Mark might wish to add this spice to my dinner the next time I come to visit!  This is from the spice market not the medicine market!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you got the bead wig! I dare you to wear it to church...or the next Stake Conference! People might start calling you the next Dr. Sibiya! ,) I can't wait to go back and see all your South Africa posts. Love the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't buy the bead wig...you're crafty, you should make me one!!!!!

      Delete