Friday, October 21, 2016

Leaves Turning and Rain Falling

Image result for rain on a fall day
My surgery went off without a hitch on September 14.  I did stay one night in the hospital but had minimal pain!  One possible side effect of a surgery like mine is the inability to raise your arm so I had visions of trying to teach George how to blow dry and curl my hair on that side!  Luckily that didn't happen!  I rested totally for 2 weeks and then headed to Arkansas for my 45 year class reunion!  It was an absolutely wonderful time and will soon have its own blog post.  I got back to Portland, had two busy days, and then went to Boise for a long weekend.  Another fantastic time seeing the family and watching Scott coach his high school soccer team in the district tournament!  Then I came home and hit rock bottom!  I felt bad enough that I called the doctor.

When the nurse heard the timeline of all I had done since surgery she said,"You are doing too much, too fast.  For the next 5 - 10 days, I want you to sit and watch the leaves turn and the rain fall.  You have permission to be completely lazy. Don't make any 'to-do' lists." How did she figure me out so quickly?

So that is exactly what I did!  I didn't go to Utah for the weekend with George.  I literally sat.  In fact last week my total steps was 8347!  Sad...but it worked and I am feeling close to normal but I am pacing myself.

Several times I have given people advice after surgery and told them that even when they started feeling better then should slow down and not do too much.  I probably should have heeded my own advice!


No comments:

Post a Comment