Sunday, August 27, 2017

Education Week 2017


 Education Week this year was a totally wonderful experience!  For the first time I shared the time with my daughter and friend Mary!  I couldn't help but think of all the years when she was growing up that I went to Education Week and came home full of stories and 'wisdom' that I had learned.  Pages and pages of notes that I wanted to share with my family!  It makes me smile to think of her sharing her own 'wisdom' with Mark this week! 
Our Mom-Daughter time started with a couple of days in Salt Lake where we acted like tourists and went to the Visitor's Center, toured the Conference Center, and walked around on Temple Square.  We enjoyed a great lunch with Jan Degiulio and a fantastic dinner at the Lion House where George and I had our wedding lunch almost 42 years ago.  The rolls are just as yummy as I remember! 
This is from the roof of the conference center.  Did you know that it has more than a million square feet of space?  23,000 people can attend conference! 
Couldn't resist a photo at the perfect temple viewing spot!
One of the funniest parts of the day was going to the Family History Discovery Center.  We 'discovered' that we are related to lots of famous people from Walt Disney to Harry Truman!  If you are ever in Salt Lake City I highly recommend it! 
On Sunday morning we attended the broadcast of Music and the Spoken Word which has been on the air for more than 89 years!  Nothing quite like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir! 
I fell in love with this painting in the conference center.  It reminded me of the song I sang as a child, "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world". 
On Sunday afternoon we drove down to Provo and spent the week in the 'best bed and breakfast' in Provo - Tammy and Richard's beautiful home!  Good food, comfortable bed and great company!  It couldn't have been any more perfect! 
First event on Monday morning - a solar eclipse!  In Provo we got about 90% coverage but it was still very impressive.  In 2024, I'm already planning a trip to Maine or Texas or Ohio....or maybe Arkansas to experience an eclipse in totality! 
Obviously, since I was in Provo, I didn't take this photo but it is so beautiful, I wanted to share it.

During the week we attended 39 classes, one devotional, saw Brigadoon, went to a wonderful American Piano quartet (2 pianos and 8 hands), and learned about everything from how to teach adults to improving communication skills.  Although I ate too much chic-fillet, I did pass up the mint brownies until the last day and I managed to only gain 1 pound!
Poor Mary got terrible blisters from the new shoes we both got in Salt Lake so she hobbled around a bit and spent a few classes like this. 
Another highlight was touring the brand new Provo Missionary Training Center.  With this bright beautiful addition up to 3700 missionaries can be housed and trained.   
 Saturday morning we went to the exquisite Provo City Center Temple with Tammy.  The architects and designers did a masterful job capturing the pioneer feel of the old Provo Tabernacle which burned down several years ago.  The temple stands in the exact place and looks very much the same on the outside. 
On our way to the airport we finally found out what makes a 'dirty Dr. Pepper' and savored a totally yummy sugar cookie.  That may have been how I gained my pound but I don't even feel guilty.  I'm not going to be going Swig often!
A perfectly wonderful week in every way!!!!

1 comment: