Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Going to Kenya

 I'm off to Kenya to spend a week volunteering for Kenya Keys.  My focus on the board is libraries so I've been researching and buying books for weeks.  Amazon lost 4 huge boxes of books, refunded my money,  allowed me to reorder, paid the expedited shipping so that I would get them before I left. Then surprisingly the 'lost' boxes were found and the books delivered.  About $700 of books from a canceled, refunded order.  Guess what they did?  They told me I could keep the books - ALL THE BOOKS - as a gift from the company!  Isn't that wonderful!  Talk about good customer service!  Many of the books will be taken by the large intern teams going this summer but I managed to pack 70 pounds of books into my 3 bags.  I'm lucky this year to have a 3 bag allowance and I have 3 - 50 pounders!  At this point when it was all spread out on my bed I had my doubts that it would all fit.
It isn't easy to pack that many books into suitcases but I did it. Three HEAVY bags!
One stuffed carryon bag!  And my favorite 'personal item bag' and I'm ready to go.
Kenya here I come!  I'm often asked how long it takes to get there.  Well...10 hours and 20 minutes to Amsterdam; 3 hours in Amsterdam and then 8 hours and 5 minutes to Nairobi,  Kenya.  We'll spend the night there and then take the new Nairobi-Mombasa train to Taru village.  
I'm happy to say that a driver is going to take all those heavy bags so that we don't have to haul them on the train.  Yep, it is a LONG trip but so worth it to see the wonderful work being done by Kenya Keys. I'm proud to be a part of it all! Check them out http://kenyakeys.org

No comments:

Post a Comment