Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Possibilities

 Over the last several years I noticed that many people I respect were picking a 'word of the year'.  They felt that having single word was a powerful way to stay focused and set applicable goals.

Until 2021, I had never been one who did this but after the turmoil of 2020, I decided that I wanted pick a work to concentrate on and that word was HARMONY - the blending of different parts to make a pleasing whole!  For so much of 2020, I had felt so much disharmony in my home, in politics, in religion, in our communities.  My goal was to do all I could to develop characteristics and practices to encourage harmony.  While sometimes I do hit a 'discordant' note, I know that I have seen much improvement in this area.  

As I thought about a word for 2022, I remembered a conversation I had many years ago with George's Dad.  Almost everyday he got up at 5:10 a.m. to play tennis and racket ball, often adding a swim.  His days didn't seem so busy that he couldn't have scheduled his exercise at a more reasonable (at least in my mind) time of the day.  I'll never forget what he told me.  He said, "Psychologically, getting up early leaves me feeling that I have my whole life ahead of me and not behind me." Now that I am also in my 'golden years' I understand that sentiment in a way I never could have when I was young.

There is truth to the statement that at my age, much of life is behind me but I also have an optimistic idea that 'the best is yet to be'.  With that in mind, my word of 2022 is POSSIBILITIES.  I have ample time to do whatever I would like to do.  The possibilities are endless.

I took an on-line class and learned about how to observe, identify, and enjoy birds.

I'm attempting to master my I-phone camera through another class.

I've been practicing the piano almost daily and see remarkable progress.

I volunteered to work at our Stake Family History Center and have already added to my family tree.

And I've been busy learning how to bake and decorate cakes.  Not sure this new hobby makes sense since I am always trying to loose weight and George is diabetic but no one has complained yet!

Here are a few of my cakes. 

Mint Chocolate Chip Cake

Rich dark chocolate cake layers with chocolate chips and butter cream

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Tender and light lemon poppy seed cake layers with lemon cream cheese frosting and fresh raspberries 

Reese's Toast Cake
Fluffy white cake with peanut buttercream, chocolate ganache, and peanut butter toast crunch
4th of July Funfetti Cake
Tender white cake layers, mixed with red and blue sprinkles, covered in a whipped vanilla buttercream
Definitely a sugar overload but so delicious
'Every new day begins with POSSIBILITIES!'
Ronald Reagan 
Never lose hope, there are always possibilities if you just look for them.
Catherine Pulsifer 

No comments:

Post a Comment