Monday, November 24, 2014

Black Sea #13 - A Taste of Turkey

Since we spent the majority of this trip on a cruise ship, we didn't really eat a lot of unusual food, a lot of GOOD food, but nothing too interesting.

Here are a couple of of exceptions:

Traditional Turkish ice-cream.  No it isn't like gelato.  It is made of goat's milk.  Feeling as I do about goat's milk I didn't want to try it but since our local tour guide was giving each of us a cone as a treat, I couldn't refuse without seeming like a snotty American.  I got lemon flavored which I thought had the best chance of being OK.  The first several bites were not bad but then that goat milk taste overpowered the lemon and seemed to coat my mouth.  I had the self control to not just spit it out but I did discreetly walk over and throw it in the trash.

Now here is something I did like...love in fact!  Anything with potato has to be good!
Take a potato on a stick and cut into spirals.  He was so busy cutting these that he wouldn't take time to pose for a photo.  This is an action shot!  I have a slightly bigger machine that makes apple spirals.
The potato spins around and comes out  in pretty little spirals still on a stick.
Then it is deep fat fried....
And you have fresh french fries or potato chips on a stick! Delicious!
You could also buy fresh cooked ears of corn.  Not exactly a place for someone on a low fat/ low carb diet!  But as you can see, we were happy people!
I sometimes think I should go on a 'Breads of the World' tour.  I know there are wine tours, why not bread tours?  Every place has its own type of bread and I've never tried one I didn't like.  Didn't get to try these but I bet they are good.
And finally don't you wish your local McDonalds delivered?



No comments:

Post a Comment