Monday, November 10, 2014

Last of a Generation

George's Aunt Barbara Lewis died last week.  She is the last of his parent's generation on his Dad's side.  Because George has been gone so much recently he wasn't able to go to Utah to attend the funeral so I went and I'm glad I did.  George's brother John couldn't go either so I got to spend a couple of days with my sisters-in-law Katherine, Tammy and Karen and spend time with many of the Lewis cousins.
Aunt Barbara was truly 'one of a kind'.  I think the motto for her life could be, "everyone in the world is a potential friend....and when someone becomes my friend they are my family."  Sunday 'Cousins' dinners have been a tradition at her home since George and I were at BYU in the 1970's!  Cousins were defined as 1st cousins, 2nd cousins....36th cousins and their roommates, potential marriage partners, someone you sat by in class....anyone and everyone was made welcome and fed by our gracious Aunt Barbara!  

Years ago we were at Aunt Barbara and Uncle Ben's home for a 4th of July celebration.  An unknown car pulled up in the driveway and Aunt Barbara called out a cheerful greeting to these people that she had never seen before in her life.  Actually they were lost and looking for another house.  Aunt Barbara gave them directions to the home they were seeking and then added, "But come on in.  We have plenty of food."  And she meant it!  They would have been welcomed and loved!  That is just how she was!

Tammy included this in her weekly family letter:

 My parent's generation were an amazing generation of people and it is sad to see them go. I miss their influence, values and common sense. 

My Aunt Barbara’s funeral was lovely. My cousin, Jim was putting together her life sketch on election day; so he sent out an “Exit Poll” to the extended family to gather memories and thoughts about Barbara. He did a great job incorporating all the comments into a picture of her that he and Linda shared. Aunt Barbara was a character, and had a fun way of expressing herself in a way that never offended. People she didn’t particularly like were “stinky”, or she would wish them well by saying, “bless their black little hearts”. And when someone had been teasing her in some way, she would say, “I love you too”. And she did. We always knew she loved us. My other cousins Lew, Greg and John all talked, and the common themes in her life were love, service, and joy – mixed in with memories of her great food. John talked about his 5 year old self asking his mom every day at lunch to “tell me a story”, and even though she couldn't talk in her last days, he wove in what he saw around her room and the stories of her life that it told. Beautiful funeral, beautiful people. I am grateful it gave us an excuse for me to hang out with my sisters. 

Thanks Tammy for expressing our feelings so well.

And for Cousin Julie in Rome - here are a few photos I took of the extended Lewis Clan.  We missed you Julie but were glad we got to visit with David and Kathy and Fred!  Fred is a very handsome young man!
 Richard and Tammy, Mary and her son Taylor, Lew and Grace, Linda, Greg and Kathy, Kathy, Karen, Katherine, Louise, me and BJ!
Tom and Sheryl and Ralph 
Greg and Karen and Tammy
 Lew and Karen and Tammy
 Elaine and Joyce
 Lew and Grace and grandson Walter, named for George's Dad
 All of Lew and Grace's family
So happy to have been a member of the extended Lewis family these last 39 years!  My life has been blessed by my  association with this talented, intelligent, unique, fun bunch!




No comments:

Post a Comment