Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Thanks to all our Veterans - Especially my Daddy!

My Daddy, Jake Gates Montgomery was in the US Navy during World War II, serving on several different ships in the Pacific.  He never ever talked about those days.  I know he was in several battles and that he was in the fleet that sailed into Tokyo Bay when the surrender papers were signed.  I thought about that when I was in Tokyo last year.  Other than that I know practically nothing about his military service prior to my birth.  I'm setting a goal to do some research this year and find out more about his service during the war.

But for this year I'm just sharing some fun photos I found of him in uniform!
This is standing in front of my Grandma's house on Center Street in Lonoke, Arkansas, my hometown.  I remember this house although it has since been torn down.  That is my Daddy in the middle with his mother, Maudie Clementine Sullivan Montgomery Finch and sister Sadie Montgonery Patty on his right.  On his left is are my two aunts Maudie Finch Moore and Mary Finch.  I think the little girl in the background is my cousin Joy Montgomery Cummings.
 
This one has the date of 1942 on the back.  He is on leave standing on Waikiki Beach.  Wow!  Wouldn't it have been amazing to have been in Hawaii when it was like this? High-rise hotels take up all that beach front area now!  Looking good Daddy!
I just love his happy expression in this one!
And here he is in London!  This is probably 1953 when he was in the fleet sent over to honor Queen Elizabeth's coronation.   Daddy was on his way back when I was born.  Moma says that he arrived at the hospital when I was a few days old.  It was in the middle of the night but I was wide awake to greet him!
Thanks to Daddy and all those who served to make us free and keep us free!


No comments:

Post a Comment