Sunday, November 16, 2014

Black Sea Cruise #2 Cappadocia

I will freely admit that I had never heard of Cappadocia until we started looking at this Black Sea Cruise!  Guess what?  It is mentioned in the New Testament!  Acts 2:9 if you don't believe me!  Early Christians hid here from the Romans before Christianity became an accepted religion.  See all those cave openings?  They were homes and perfect hiding places.
Large churches complete with beautiful frescoes were also carved into the stone.
One of the most amazing pleas we visited was an massive underground city.  As many as 5000 people took refuge in this labyrinth of underground tunnels and rooms. The tall guys in the group like George and his brother John were not big fans of the very low ceiling tunnels.  I even bumped my head once or twice and I am almost a foot shorter than my brother in law!  Visitors are allowed to explore the 4 floors closest to ground level  There are 4 more floors farther below.

The landscape is a dramatic geological oddity that looks like it could be a set for a futuristic movie or even one set on another planet. Some people say that it reminded them of Goblin Valley in southern Utah.  One whimsical name for these towers in 'fairy chimneys'! 
The rocks  were formed of compressed volcanic ash which is much softer than most rock. Years of wind and rain have formed these unique shapes.

We live in an amazing world!  I'm glad I've been blessed to see some of it!  And I'm glad we get to share some of these adventures with John and Katherine.









No comments:

Post a Comment