Monday, August 10, 2015

Barça Barça Barça

As soon as I heard that FC Barcelona would be making a US tour this summer I started dreaming of attending a game.  When I saw that they were playing Manchester United in Santa Clara, California, I got really excited!  So for Mother and Father's Day George and I gave each other a trip to California and game tickets!  Then George surprised me with tickets to the practice session which included a dinner and a chance to 'meet and greet' a Barca legend.  So excited!!!!!

The practice session was supposed to start at 5 in the afternoon so I was lounging in bed when George woke me up with the news that he had just gotten a text and the practice time was now at 11:00.  I got ready really fast and we made it on time!  Before the practice we hung around outside and talked to people.  One really cute couple had come all the way from Atlanta to see the game.  Funny thing is that she was a Barça fan and he was a Madrid fan.  I teased her and said, "And you let him hug you??"  They were very fun to talk to.  We have the same deal in our family and we also love our Madrid fan!

When we walked into the stadium there they were, my 'boys' as I like to call them.  I just loved seeing them practice!
I am pretty sure I looked like this the whole time!
I love my Barça boys! Although  Messi, Neymar, Alves, Mascherano. and Bravo did not go on this tour (they had just finished the Copa America tournament and needed, and deserved, a vacation and some rest) there was still a lot of star power!  Plus this is the time for the younger players to get playing time so there were quite a few of the 'kids' there too!

Jordi Alba waved at us when the guy by me yelled his name!
Barça brought their trophies to share with the US fans! La Liga, Champion's League, and King's Cup...and I'm not sure about the others!
Several of the 49ers were there for the practice.  Pretty obvious who is the American footballer and who is the European footballer!!!  The Barcelona players tried their hand at some passing and kicking with an American football and the 49ers tried dribbling with a soccer ball. The Barça players pass like girls and have a tendency to punt the ball straight up in the air.  And of course the 49er players can't control a soccer ball at all........I don't think any are ready to be cross over athletes! 
To try and make up for the change of the practice time, we got an unscheduled tour of 49er/Levi Stadium which is a one and a half billion dollar facility! Very impressive!  I got to sit in the press box.
Some of the art work made me think of Matt.  He loved Joe Montana when he was a little boy.
Matt's favorite shirt said, "Joe Knows Super Bowls".  In fact I think that shirt is still in a box somewhere with Matt's favorite shoes from first grade....pink hi-tops converse all-stars!!
And I did get my photo with two legends Dwight Yorke from Manchester United and Juliano Belletti from FC Barcelona.  Ok I will admit that I had not heard of either of them but Juliano is pretty cute and he scored the goal that won the 2006 Champion's League for Barcelona! I suppose that makes him a Barcelona legend!
What a great day and the fun was just beginning!



No comments:

Post a Comment