Sunday, August 9, 2015

PDX Carpet

 
So they are replacing the 28,000 sq. feet of the 25 year old carpet at the Portland Airport.  Sounds like no big deal huh?  Well it is, if the carpet is considered 'hipster'?  I'm not sure exactly what 'hipster' means although I know that Portland is full of people who are 'hipster' and I'm pretty confident that as a 62 year old, conservative, religious, Republican I am not one of them!

The definition of hipster is a young person who is trendy, stylish, or progressive in an unconventional way; someone who is hip.  In the 50's and 60's they might have been called beatniks!

So exactly what makes carpet hip?  Who knows?  And the city didn't even realize that anybody would care about the carpet.  Well they were wrong!  Once Portland realized that the PDX carpet's days were numbered they took to social media to pay tribute.  The idea went viral.  First there was a Facebook page and then came twitter accounts.  Before long, the PDX carpet design started popping up in physical goods.  The trend apparently started with socks and quickly spread to T-shirts, shoes, mugs, water bottles, neck ties, bike jerseys and human bodies.
Here is the new carpet...
My 'un-hipster' opinion is that it is pretty and colorful but I read one 'hipster' review that said it looked like it belonged in a Florida retirement center!!!

No worries if you loved the old carpet.   Just go to any 'Made In Oregon' store and buy a shirt or earrings or a cell phone case or coasters or a onesie or a cap or a mug.  I think I'll buy a magnet....then maybe I will be 'hipster'!


No comments:

Post a Comment