Thursday, August 27, 2015

Education Week 2016

My Education Week experience this year was full of '1st'...

First time I have ever gone alone without a friend or group of friends.  I had planned to go with my friend Jan but her husband surprised her with a trip to Iceland so her 100th Marathon would be a memorable one.  Yes she has run 100 marathons!  She has amazed me for all the 26 years that I have known her....
 I think running a marathon in Iceland is a good reason to skip Education Week this year! And I did see lots of friends.  Some from my current ward, some from Idaho and even one from Loveland, Colorado where we lived almost 40 years ago!
  • Only time I have ever gone to a 'weight loss class'
  • Which probably influenced me to NOT have a mint brownie or BYU ice cream or fudge....this was definitely a first
  • Very first genealogy class ever...
  • First time it really hit me how many years I've been coming to Education Week.  I remember years ago when Michael Ballam was everyone's favorite teacher.  He told us about his new baby boy, Ben, who had been born with spina bifida.  And now Ben is home from a mission!  He served in Hawaii with his parents. Isn't it great that he could do this!!!
  • First time I have ever stayed with sister-in-law Tammy and her husband Richard.  This means I got to spend time with several of their cute grandkids including the adorable Annie.

  • Great speakers I heard for the 1st time were Hank Smith and G. Sheldon Martin.  Sheldon is the brother of my new favorite from last year, Shad Martin.
  • First time I've ever gone on a hike...a nice Saturday morning stroll with Tammy up Provo Canyon by Bridal Veil Falls.

    And a few other thoughts from Education week...

    I took 46 pages of notes and 6 photos with my phone.
    And I only have 4 personal goals and 6 seminary goals.
    I still think Michael Wilcox is the best speaker ever.  I learn so much from him each year. 
    My sister-in-law Katherine is a great Education Week buddy!

    This week of learning is a great boost to my year! Now bring on the early morning seminary!  Starts next Tuesday and will be every school day at 6:15 a.m.!  Just me, 18 teenagers and the Old Testament!

    Our theme for the year is 

Wake up and be awesome!








No comments:

Post a Comment