Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cirera

Cirera is our Catalan Sheepdog.  We got her when we lived in Barcelona and she is very much a part of the family. Before we moved back to the US in 2000, my father in law asked me if we were going to bring her back to the US.  I was shocked at this question.  I would never have even thought of leaving her.....it would have been almost like leaving one of the children!  Cirera means "cherry" in Catalan, which is the language they speak in the NE corner of Spain.  It is a separate language, not a dialect of Spanish....actually one of the 4 official languages of Spain but that is a topic for a different post.  The breeder named her Cirera because she was little, dark and sweet.

Cirera is a great dog but slightly weird.  For instance, she is terrified of my meat thermometer and of the camera because they emit scary beeping noises. When I use either, she makes a hasty retreat to the back yard. When we have a windy night, she seeks shelter in the bathtub.  If there is thunder and lightening she escapes to our closet to build a  fort by kicking my shoes, and anything else on the floor, into some sort of barricade. Her one experience with sheep ended badly with the shepherd  laughing hysterically at the "sheep dog who was afraid of sheep."  She also likes to sleep in confined places.   We have a good sized house but here are two of her favorite places to sleep.


 Sheepdogs are common in Barcelona but rare in the US.  Estimates are that there are about 100 in this country.  I read an article that said that they were not dogs one would pick for their looks.  I was somewhat insulted as I think she is quite attractive.  Who wouldn't love this face?


3 comments:

  1. She sounds like a smart dog to me. I'm also terrified by a meat thermometer and a camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what you're saying is, if you happen to be cooking a roast in a storm while taking a picture of someone in the bathtub, then she's in trouble, right?! Gotta love that face! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed that a good majority of your pictures are pictures that i took.

    ReplyDelete