Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bali

After almost two years I've gotten the pictures from our trip to China and Bali on my computer instead of just on George's so I've been looking through them and savoring the great memories! One of the many highlights for me was our extension to Bali. That was the most unique place I have ever visited.

This is a home with many altars in the front yard. See what I mean by unique?

A highlight for me was my "Balinese Cooking Class". The day started early with a 6:30 a.m. pick up at the hotel. Our first stop was the market where "Mama Bali" shops. The chef scared me to death when he announced that each of us needed to pick one of the chickens to be butchered for our lunch. I thought this whole experience might be a little too authentic for me!

After one was picked, he showed us how they hypnotize a chicken before chopping its head off. I was cringing the whole time waiting for the 'ax to fall'.

Pretty weird seeing the chicken all laid out on the chopping block calmly waiting! Lucky for me, this chicken lived to see another group of shoppers, since the chef finally admitted that our chickens were in the fridge back in the restaurant!

We got to learn about all the exotic spices and how they were used. He assured us that the same spices would be readily available in our local grocery stores! Really????

Next we learned how to make banana leaf rice holders for cooking rice. Cool! Not particularly useful since our local Albertsons's doesn't stock banana leaves!! I was later told kale leaves work well but I haven't tried it!

Then it was back in the van to go to the fish market. Boats from Java and Sumatra! What an exotic mix of color! I loved it. The black and white cloth covered statue in the picture is another altar! The Balinese are a religious people.

Here you could buy
Shrimp

Crab

Squid

And of course fish!

This little beauty peeped out at me from under one of the boats! Wonder where she is from and what her life is like?

At the restaurant this lovely breakfast awaited us.

Then we started cooking!!! All kitchens in Bali are outside since it is so warm. They don't have ovens either. The chef was an excellent teacher and got us all involved.

So much fun and such a varied and interesting group! An Indian couple who now lived in Boston, a gorgeous couple with a British man and his French wife who currently live in Switzerland, two couples from Australia, a newlywed couple from Taiwan, and another American whose girlfriend didn't want to learn to cook, she just wanted to sleep in!

This is what we prepared! Want to come over for Balinese food? I still remember a few things!


4 comments:

  1. Fun to see your cooking class pictures! I'm ready to go to Bali again, want to hop on a plane with me tomorrow and get some great beach time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious. Glad YOU didn't want to sleep in! Isn't that little girl absolutely beautiful? So exotic. I love all the colors of that food. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete