Saturday, March 6, 2010

"Little" Pleasures

Nothing too exciting in my life these last few weeks! Johnny says I have been a slacker on my blog so I decided to think about some of the things that have given me pleasure lately.

I babysat for my friend's children again for a couple of days. Who knew that there even was a website called "Pollypocket.com" and that it can entertain little girls forever?

We had a sunny, warm day that just called out, "Go to the park" so we did! Some girls want to be models! Constant calls of "Marilyn take my picture!"


My students from Somali LOVE having their picture taken!

Mamona, Hemissa, Halima, Maryamo

Baby Brother whose name is Obama!

He's a smiling little cherub! I have spent many hours in their home and I think I've heard him cry once!
Maryamo & Baby Obama with their Mom - Bahati
I can understand immigrants from Africa naming their son Obama. Having an African American in the White House must give them a real hope for their future. America is such a wonderful place so full of promise! I'm sure their hope is in their children and that is why they are so diligent about getting all the help possible to assure their success in school.
Maryamo

She is my mischievous little 8 year old. She has perfected the American child complaint of "this is boring." Which usually means 'this is hard and I don't want to do it." She is hilarious!

Mamona
She recently asked me if I liked "black people" or "pink people". Odd to think of myself as a "pink person!"

And on a different subject completely......Do you think it is possible for Jackson to get a bigger ball in his mouth?

All these seeming little things remind me that LIFE IS GOOD!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Marilyn! You've got some adorable little people in your life! That little Obama is a little cherib! What a beautiful picture of your little Maryamo friend!!

    Sorry every conversation includes, "Well, in China..." but this reminded me that one time our driver refered to himself as a "yellow man." Interesting how other people view themselves, huh?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. That is one big ball in his mouth! How did he ever get it in there? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the pictures! The little girls you babysat are beautiful. How fun you got to do that. Good tip on the Polly pockets site. I will use that! The people you work with from Somali are beautiful. They are blessed to know you and learn from you. It's fun to think of myself as PINK! Usually I only think that when I've been in the sun too long. Now I can think positive non painful thoughts about being pink.

    ReplyDelete