Sunday, March 3, 2013

A few things that make me smile.....

The new pillow....

 And how great it looks with our new bedspread! Thanks Pottery Barn!
These iced shortbread cookies from Beaverton Bakery.  I only buy them when I need to take cookies somewhere because I love them so much that I can actually eat a dozen of them.  No self control!  They taste even better than they look!

Our new foster dog, Cloud.  She is seriously the easiest and sweetest dog ever!  I often find her just hanging out in her kennel.....
chewing on her bone!
 I'm not the only one that she makes smile!
I just reread Cry, the Beloved Country.  What a beautiful book!  I'll steal a review I found on line - 
This novel is beautiful in so many ways: the lush landscapes, the intimate conversations, the biblical arc of the story, the cumulative power of so many voices. The writing is sparing and lyrical, its rhythms building and breaking into poetry. But perhaps what is most indelible about this novel is the way Paton lays bare the tragedies of apartheid--the poisonous fear; the gross disparities of education and wealth; the destruction of family, tribe, and land--through the development of characters who are unforgettable in their humanness: their struggles, sorrows and triumphs have the clear ring of truth.  This novel is both devastating and hopeful in a way that tends to steal one's breath.
If like me, you read it years ago, read it again.  If you have never read it, then please do!

And last, this movie billed as a 'fairy tale for the geriatric set' was completely delightful.  The acting is superb, the scenery is gorgeous, and the story is predictable but sweet.  And best of all the music is beautiful! 
Hope your week is filled with things that make you smile!

1 comment:

  1. Darling pillow! Those shortbread cookies look pretty good & what a sweet foster dog.

    ReplyDelete