Friday, March 15, 2013

Class-Cooking

My friend Kim's "Class Cooking" classes definitely teach you to cook with class!  I love all the of cooking techniques I've learned and my whole family loves the variety of recipes.

It all began during our years of living in Barcelona. As 'trailing spouses' of our Hewlett Packard husbands, we enjoyed any excuse to get together.  Kim combined her teaching experience with her culinary expertise and came up with a great plan; a group of women spending the morning cooking together under her direction, using her fabulous recipes, and then enjoying a feast for lunch!  Now home in Vancouver, Kim has expanded on this idea to create "Class-Cooking".

The first class I attended was on Indian Cooking.  The Tika Masala recipe is one of my family's favorites.  In fact every Indian restaurant since then has been judged by 'Is their Tika masala as good as Mom's?"  I'm delighted to say that the answer to that question is frequently, "NO!"  Thanks Kim!

A recent favorite was the tamale class.  I wowed my lunch book club with two flavors of homemade tamales, two salsas,  salad and even dessert tamales! Another delicious class was the Aebleskiver class!  Aebleskiver Eggs Benedict!  Fantastic!  I love the easy Hollandaise sauce so much I have to restrain myself from drinking it right out of the blender!  I've had classes on gourmet salads and sandwiches, Thai cooking, soups and this week I learned to cook Moroccan!  Now I want to go buy a tagine.


So I can make....."Tagine of Chicken, Preserved Lemons and Olives"
                                           "Spice Lentil and Butternut Squash Tagine" 

And "Romaine, Orange and Date Salad with Cinnamon Orange Dressing"


Kim's classes are professionally done yet she explains and demonstrates everything so well that I always leave knowing I CAN do what she has taught us.  The classes are 'hands on'....if you want to eat you have to help!  She teaches all kinds of easy shortcuts and has many recommendations for buying ingredients that might not be available at your local grocery store.  Anyone who has an interest in cooking and wants a fun morning out, should check out http://class-cooking.com.

1 comment: