Saturday, October 28, 2017

Flower, Bird, Fish and Insect Market


We experienced another taste of 'traditional Shanghai' as we wandered among the 'racket of crickets, interlaced with snatches of birdsong, to a backdrop of multicolored fishes' in one of the few remaining traditional markets in town.
 Fascinating to observe this unique part of another culture.

Inside those bamboo sticks are crickets. 
Shoppers studied the crickets intently.  I assumed that they were trying to find the most pleasing sounding to place in their gardens. 
Later I learned that they are actually looking for a cricket to enter into the 'cricket fights'.  Participants place bets on their crickets.  I had never heard of this before. You learn new things all the time huh? 
I guess these big bugs do look more like fighters than something to make a relaxing noise in your garden.  I do love the sound of a cricket.  When I find one in the house I 'catch and release' outside. 
There were also song birds to buy 
And you could even buy a squirrel.... 
Or perhaps you would like a bunny... 


No comments:

Post a Comment