Saturday, January 25, 2020

Malasadas

One thing we both fell in love with on the Big Island are the Malasadas, Portuguese donuts.  Soft puffy balls of deliciousness.  They don't have holes like traditional donuts but they are sometimes filled with various creams and all of them are liberally sprinkled with sugar.
Coconut Cream Filling
Some just have a delicious glaze.
Passion Fruit Glaze
George was addicted too!  His favorite was the chocolate filled.
One night we went to a restaurant where our dessert was 3 Malasadas with 3 syringes to add the filling ourselves....one coconut, one chocolate and one guava!  Can you say delicious?

Our favorite place to buy them was the Southern Most Bakery in the US.  It's on the way to the volcano from Kona so be sure and stop if you ever go.  You won't be sorry!
I watched this guy making them to see if I could get any hints.  Yes you can find the recipe on-line.  And yes, I may be trying to learn to make them.
Our 2nd favorite place to buy them was at Tex's Drive in which in north of Hilo.

And for the record....I lost about 2 pounds on our trip.  I don't think I can thank the Malasadas for 
that.  If I do make them at home, I must go on several 4 mile hikes with significant climbing to try and equal things out!




No comments:

Post a Comment