Thursday, December 29, 2022

Christmas Decorations

 Although I admit that today I felt like this:

I truly love my decorations.  This year I did donate a couple of boxes of things that didn't 'bring me joy' so the things I have left are truly my favorites - many, many boxes of JOY.  Thought I'd share a few and explain why I love them.

My mother loved Christmas and was really good at collecting fun decorations.  These 'shelf sitters' are so adorable and get lots of complements.  The carolers were hers too.  The two Santas are ones I bought.  One is from Poland and the other from Iceland.  One of the caretakers at our campground  in Iceland also painted Christmas decorations so naturally I had to have one.

Speaking of my mother, this is the nativity set that my parents bought in Italy in about 1960.  I distinctly remember playing with it as a child.  When my mother passed it to me, our children were little but she only gave it to me with the understanding that I would let my children also play with it.  I did what she asked and sometimes found GI Joes attacking the stable or Teen Aged Mutant Turtles as part of the scene.  This is the first year that Isabella has shown any interest in playing with it.  She made up a long story that involved shepherds who were not nice and kings who taught them.  I am not sure why baby Jesus is on the roof!!!  Must have been the mean shepherds! That girl has quite the imagination!

My mother loved animals like I do.  This nativity proves that.
I am glad I have this pet nativity from her collection.
Another favorite of mine is this one from Ecuador.  I already had bought two on this trip but I could not resist this one when I saw it at the airport.  
I had to have those cute animals.
This is my newest one, purchased in Rwanda in October.  Simple but sweet.
So many treasured memories of family, Christmases past, and exciting trips go through my mind as I box up all the decoration.  It is definitely worth the time and effort.










No comments:

Post a Comment