Sunday, August 9, 2009

Bird Central



For my birthday Matt & Scott gave me this LARGE bird feeder. There is a net under the actual feeder that catches the seed to keep it from falling in the grass where it germinates to create all sorts of interesting plants in the lawn. The net also serves as another feeding place. It is so funny to watch the big doves swinging on the net like some sort of playground ride. There are twelve feeding holes so we can accommodate a large number of birds. George says it is like Grand Central Station for birds. We counted 12 birds on the new feeder and 3 more on the old feeder. I love watching them!

The hummingbirds have been especially active also. There are three that buzz around like fighter pilots. They don't seem to like each other very much. I watched them fight for a spot at the feeder all afternoon until finally about dark, I noticed that the three of them were eating at the same time. I guess they called some sort of truce so they could fill up before they go to wherever they go at night! Amazing to me that these little guys migrate to Mexico in the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment