Monday, November 15, 2010

Taj Mahal

I just got all the pictures from our India trip on my computer. I have so many that I could do a picture of the day for the next three years! I won't bore you with our close to 3000 pictures, don't worry! I thought I'd share a few of the Taj Mahal. We've all seen pictures of this view.
But I confess that I had no idea of the beautiful intricate detail that you seen when you get close up to the building.
The amount of detail is astounding
There is beauty everywhere you look. It was built as a mausoleum for a much loved queen who died in childbirth. The king planned to build a mirror image in black marble for his own final resting place on the opposite side of river. Unfortunately his son took over the kingdom and imprisoned his father in the fort until his death. Then the father was buried in the Taj Mahal along side his wife.
The whole building is white marble except for the colored inlaid pieces which are semi precious stones.
It is a feast for the eyes!

2 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!!! Seeing your pictures makes me want to go back and see it all again!

    ReplyDelete