Saturday, January 19, 2013

Downtown Abbey - Why do I care?


Like most women I know, as well as a few men, I looked forward to January 6th with anticipation!  Not because school started the next day but because we were finally going to see the first episode of the 3rd season of Downton Abbey!  I should have known that this series was going to become an obsession when after the first season I got a call from my own 'Lady Mary' saying,"Mom in England the 2nd season starts in the fall.  We should go to England."  I admit the first thoughts in my head were, "Yes we should"....sure we should go to England for six weeks to watch TV!  Last year, I just couldn't stand the wait and I bought the 1st and 2nd seasons as soon as possible.  I told myself that I was going to savor each episode but what actually happened was that I indulged and watched the whole thing - 2 seasons- during one evening and early morning!  Talk about obsessive!  I admit that I am!

Now finally Season 3.  Why do I care?  I heard someone say it reminded them of their British ancestors.  Well, mine would have been downstairs I'm sure and not lord and lady of a manor.  I think it is the costumes and the sets and the humor and the acting and of course the drama!  Then this year the big question, "Will Lady Mary and Cousin Matthew finally get married?" Happy day!  Finally they said, "I do".


As soon as Matthew asked Tom, former chauffeur and now married to Lady Sybil, to be his best man, I started crying and I cried through the entire wedding.  Then last week my heart ached for Lady Edith.  In my life, I'm much more of a Lady Edith than a Lady Mary and I really felt for her.  What now?

Will Carson finally grab Miss Hughes and profess his love?
Or is she really going to have cancer?
Did Bates actually kill his wife?
Will the nasty "O'Brien" figure a way to get even with the even more nasty Thomas?
Who will have the first grandchild Lady Mary or Lady Sybil?
Will Lady Edith find true love?
Will Daisy profess her feelings for the new footman?
And is Martha coming back?  It is just too fun watching Shirley McClain and Maggie Smith!
Only one way to find out......

4 comments:

  1. We finally started watching the show after hearing Jan, Terrah & Liz all loving it. Its a really good show, even Shad watched it with me but we've only seen the first season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Angela keeps telling me I need to watch this. And now I think I'm ready to join the addiction...can't wait!

    Sure miss you :)

    ReplyDelete