Thursday, January 23, 2014

Catching up on January

Things weren't too exciting at our house for the first part of the month.  I'll update you on a few things and then you'll agree that boring and normal would be the descriptive words to use…..

I finally accepted the inevitable and put my calendar on the computer where that mysterious 'cloud' lets it also appear on my I-phone and I-pad.  I think I will really like this convenience once I get used to it.
I couldn't completely give up my paper calendar.  I've used this big day-timer for 30+ years; from the days when it was filled with preschool mother-helper schedules through the teenage years of soccer practice car pools and game schedules. Without it, the kids and I would have been at the wrong place at the wrong time way too often!
I did decide to 'downsize' to this convenient small size  Look how much more room I have on my desk now!  I already love it.
Since last year my plan to loose weight somehow got mixed up and I GAINED weight, I decided I had to do something about it.  I got a Fitbit which counts my steps and gives me a goal for which to strive each day.
George got one too so we compete.  We can send each other taunts or praise as we look at the other's progress.  I admit that my competitive side comes out at things like this.  Poor man does have to sit at a desk each day to support his wife's shopping and traveling habits so I have vowed not to taunt him! 

The Fitbit also links with "My Fitness Pal" which is a website to track what you eat and how much you exercise.
No I never have 1897 calories remaining! I wish I had 2000 calories a day but I think that would be counterproductive to losing weight.  What it helps with is that when I get the munchies at 9:00 pm, I can look and see how many calories I have left and then try to figure out what I can eat that has 50 calories and no fat and no sugar.  Celery anyone?

On a different note: The church nursery is great fun!  My favorite conversation so far:

Teacher: Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to be happy.
Very active, talkative and cute 3 year old boy: Yes but he doesn't want us to be 'wild and crazy.'
Teacher:  But he wants us to have fun and be happy.
Same little boy: But he doesn't want us to go to jail! 

I can imagine the conversations that have been going on in that household where Dad is a busy medical resident and Mom has 4 little ones between the ages of 1 and 8!  Also loved my long conversation with another little boy who told me in great detail about his new dog Tucker.  When I started asking his Dad about the new dog, I got a blank look.  They don't have a new dog, nor plan to get a dog!  I love 2 and 3 year olds!

We added foster Guide Dog #10 - Lila! If she saw this picture and could talk I think she'd ask, "Does this picture make my nose look big?"  And the answer would be YES!
In truth she is pretty adorable and has just settled right into our home.   Little Miss Lila was not a fan of the kennel and let her dislike be known quite vocally.  I haven't heard her make a sound.  She has had all her training and will get to spend the next weeks at home with us while she waits to be paired with a blind person.  No complaints from either of us.  She is a love!
And the Broncos are going to the Super Bowl!  I remember those horrible losses in the Big Game years ago….I also remember the big wins while we were in Spain!  Hopefully this will be one of those big wins!

But by far the most exciting part of my January was getting to spend a week on Maui with this group - five of the people I love most in the whole world!  That week will be the highlight of my year I am sure!




No comments:

Post a Comment