Saturday, January 25, 2014

Maui Memories

For several years I have been dreaming of a trip to Maui to show our children one of our favorite places. Finally we decided it was time and invited them all to come.  Son-in-law Mark doesn't enjoy traveling so he stayed home but was happy to have Mary join us.  I so appreciate him and think he is a great husband.

As we got ready I gave myself many lectures so that I would avoid 'mothering' my adult off-spring and being totally annoying.  This was not a trip with our four 'little kids' where I did most of the planning and organizing.  This was an opportunity to share some experiences all together while allowing the 'kids' to do their own thing too.  I can hardly believe how perfectly it all worked out.

There were 5 things on my 'really, really want to do' list that I hoped to share and I did get to do all 5 with various combinations of kids.


  1. Eat at Cheeseburgers in Paradise in Lahaina. Everyone enjoyed this!
  2. Drive the road to Hana, hike in the bamboo forest and swim in the 'sacred' pools.  Only Johnny missed this adventure.
  3. Go whale watching.  Mary joined George and me for this.  But we all saw whales from the hotel.
  4. Hike to and swim in the "Olivine Pools".  Mary, Matt, George and I shared this afternoon fun.
  5. Hike to the Nakalele Blow Hole.  Everyone got to see the awesome power of the ocean!
For me it was a perfect trip!!!

There were a few 'solo' excursions with no photos.  Johnny went on a night time dive and loved it except for the hypothermia he experienced.  Scott went on a horseback ride and remembered just how much he loves horses.  I got plenty of relaxing by the pool time.  Mary got a chance to shop.  Matt went ATVing and caught lots of air on the water slide. We watched the Broncos win in the playoffs while sipping smoothies and eating french fries at the pool bar. The men of the family went golfing while Mary and I were pampered with a spa afternoon. Johnny and Scott got massages one day too….Johnny's first massage!  And my husband, who is so easy to travel with, just helped and supported us all…but I think he got some relaxing, reading time too!

Only disappointment was a glitch with the plans to take the 'Bucket List' Skyline mountain biking trail down Haleakala.  I think it is always good to have one thing you want to do when you come back to a place…..next time that bike adventure WILL happen!  And there will be a next time!

1 comment:

  1. How fun and memorable for your family! It sounds like it was a great trip.

    ReplyDelete