Monday, April 30, 2018

And finally - ATHENS!!!

I have wanted to go to Athens ever since I was a little girl living in Sicily.  My Daddy had to go to Greece for some reason and he brought back some little marble statues that I thought were so beautiful!  Finally my dream came true!
The Parthenon was built between 447 and 438 BC at the height of Greek civilization.  If you are like me, you have always imagined white marble statues on white marble buildings. with Greek philosophers in white tunics.  I was surprised to learn that archeologist now think that ancient Athens was full of color. The marble was brightly painted.  Using ultra-violet-light they can find color on statues that have no obviously visible signs of decoration.  They can't tell exactly what colors were used but they can see patterns.  Wow!  That changed my whole picture of ancient Greece.  
Painted or not the statues are extremely impressive!  This is a miniature replica. 
Just look at that detail. 
The statues on the temple right by the Parthenon are remarkable also.  In fact, walking around in Athens looking at all the antiquities was quite wonderful.  Way to end a fantastic trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment