Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Church of Gold

The Basilica of Saint Mark  is a 'must see' in Venice.  From the 11th century on, the church has been known by the nickname Chiesa d'Oro (Church of gold). When you go through the door and look up, it is easy to see why.

I was somewhat dismayed to see this sign as soon as we walked in.  What no photos!!!  Then I remembered that we were in Italy where all laws are merely suggestions and I joined the throngs of other camera happy people totally disregarding the signs!  Although I have to admit that I worried someone would come and kick me out of the place for brazenly breaking the rules.
It truly is a magnificent cathedral!
 The golden mosaics are beautiful!
We went up to the balcony area where we had access to the roof. 
And also were able to view an exhibit that allowed us to see the mosaics up close.  Here is St. Mark.
Now look at his face close-up! It takes a true artist to be able to combine small glass tiles to create such lifelike mosiacs.
Here is Abraham...
And Abraham close up... 
I also loved the marble mosaics on the floor.
 The designs aren't as intricate as those on the walls and ceilings but are still beautiful.
I am trying to convince George that doing a mosaic on our patio in Boise would be a good project for him after he retires. These should give him inspiration!




No comments:

Post a Comment