Monday, April 30, 2018

Hamilton

I have been hearing the rave reviews about Hamilton for several years now.  I was not convinced that I would like to listen to that much rap music but since the tickets were available we decided to go.
And I am so glad we did! I read the synopsis on line and also read a book about Hamilton.  The story moves so fast that without some background I think I would have been totally lost.  At intermission (what does it say about me that I always want to say 'at halftime'??) I overheard the young couples by us commenting that they had not understood all the words to the rap songs.  I thought it was just my old ears!  I decided to quickly download the lyrics to the songs in the '2nd half' :) and read through them. Boy did that help!
So, if you are going to see it, do a bit of research, listen to the music and read the lyrics.  One family from church had the songs on their karaoke machine and their 12 and 10 year old sons knew every word before they went to the play.  In fact she says that they often answer her questions with Hamilton lyrics!  Impressive!  I totally understand all the hype.  The cleverness of the lyrics, the energy of the dancers, and the fabulous voices made it a memorable night for us.




No comments:

Post a Comment