Friday, November 9, 2018

Oh Zion!

George's family holds an annual meeting in the fall.  This year we met in Zion National Park for a few glorious days enjoying that breathtaking scenery and our time together. We chose Zion for the meeting location to honor George's Dad, Walter Malin Lewis who loved Zion!  The ranch that he owned here was named, "Vivid Valley" and it is easy to see why that name was selected. Fall is the perfect time to experience Zion.  The red rocks and the changing leaves are most definitely 'vivid'.
Being here reminded me of one of Dad's favorite poems which seemed especially appropriate.
Oh God, let this be heaven-

I do not ask for golden streets

Or long for jasper walls

Nor do I sigh for pearly shores

Where twilight never falls

Just leave me here beside these peaks

In this rough western land

I love this dear old world of thine-

Dear God, you understand.
Oh God, let this be heaven-

I do not crave white, stainless robes


I'll keep these marked by toil.


Instead of straight and narrow walks

I love trails soft with soil;


I have been healed by crystal streams,


But those from snow-crowned peaks


Where dawn burns incense to the day


And paints the sky in streaks. 



















Dear God, let this be heaven-

I do not ask for angel wings


Just leave that old peak there


And let me climb 'til comes the night-


I want no golden stair. 


Then when I say my last adieu


And all farewells are given


 Just leave my spirit here somewhere

 Oh, God, let this be heaven!









No comments:

Post a Comment