Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Happy Birthday Matt!

Today is Matt's birthday!  We actually celebrated on Monday night with his requested Spanish dinner of garlic shrimp, pan con tomate (bread with tomato), mixed green salad, and ALMOST a Spanish tortilla which is a potato omelet and one of our family favorites!  I say ALMOST because as we tried to flip it onto the cutting board, it flipped onto the floor.  So sad but I promised Matt I'd make another one this week and be super careful.
It was all yummy, if I do say so myself!  Made me homesick for Barcelona!



For dessert he requested a very American Texas sheet cake complete with candles of the appropriate number!

Celebrating these special occasions is one of the best reasons for moving back to Eagle.

On Matt's birthday it seemed appropriate to talk about our trip to Zion National Park.  Matt was just an absolute joy to travel with and totally invaluable as a hiking, climbing partner.  I love how he took charge with a much needed 'safety briefing' for our entire group.  And how he helped me do a very hard climb that was definitely out of my comfort zone.  He talked me through the unfamiliar climbing moves as we made our way down and then back up a crack in the rocks.  He's definitely comfortable with heights! And possesses very natural leadership skills which he put to good use!
We hiked for a short time in the famous 'narrows' of Zion.

Matt and his cousin Brent made it to the top of Angel's Landing - which is bucket list hike for climbers.  When they reached the summit he called his brother Scott to find out that our team FC Barcelona had defeated Real Madrid, their arch rivals, 5-1 and just then a California Condor flew over.  Matt reported that it was a perfect day!
Happy birthday Matt!  I love you.  Thanks for all your help since we moved back to Eagle and for all the fun and support on our Zion trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment