Saturday, June 1, 2019

Bread Tour

Other people go on 'wine tasting' trips.  I would like to go on a 'bread tasting' tour.
I never met a bread I didn't like!
 Just walking through a town and smelling the fresh baking bread makes me happy.....and hungry!
On our trip through Romania, we discovered Kovács Kalács. The name refers to the shape of the bread.  It is like a stove pipe or chimney - hollow in the middle.


Kovács Kalács are made from a sweet, yeast dough which is wrapped around a cone-shaped baking spit and rolled in sugar, then roasted over charcoal while being basted with butter.  It cooks to a golden-brown color and the sugar caramelizes and forms a shiny crispy crust.  Then it can be topped with cinnamon and more sugar or walnuts.  Understand why I fell in love with these?? 

To eat, you just tear off strips and enjoy all that sweet yumminess!  Anyone want to go with me on a 'breads of the world' tour? 1st stop Romania or Hungary!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment