Monday, June 3, 2019

Languages


One of the adventures when traveling in non English speaking countries is figuring out the signs.  Can you figure out all the languages?  
1st - Hungarian
 2nd - English 😀
 3rd - German
 4th - French
 5th - Spanish
 6th - Romanian
 7th - Polish
 8th -  French again....or at least that is what Google Translate says!
 9th - Russian
 10th - Slovak or Latvian
 Now notice the similarities.  Basilica or Cathedral is there is every phrase. (well except for the Russian and it is probably there we just can't read the Cyrillic letters). Almost all have some D word that means donations and most have an M word for maintenance.  The German kind of sits out there on its own with 'spenden zur erhaltung'.  As an English speaker, I think I could probably figure out that  'spenden' had something to do with money. Although I also know that these two words might be false friends - words that look similar but have totally different meanings in the other language.  Like embarazada in Spanish which does not mean embarrassed but PREGNANT. But just look at the Hungarian!
 Adományok and Fenntartására. Those two words don't relate to anything I can think of.  Turns out that Hungarian sits way out on the language tree.  Its closest relatives are Finnish and Estonian.
George was off the hook as my interpreter in Hungary!

 I never really worry figuring out languages because I have a brilliant husband who has a gift with languages!  I just assume he will figure things out and he usually does. example from our recent trip, Romanian is a latin based language so many of the words look familiar to anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of Spanish. Our guide mentioned that in the Romanian Orthodox Church they light candles and say prayers for both the living and the dead.  The candles are placed in different receptacles.   George quickly figured out these two. Vii for the living and Morti for the dead.  Like vivir and morir in Spanish.
How about this one? Again Vii for the living but Adormiti for the dead.  Not dead but sleeping - dormir in Spanish. 





This one is pretty obviously one sort of warning. 
It means "Work Area - Strangers - Enter - Not Allowed
This one was just outside our hotel.  I get parkoló and óra.   
That's a LONG word !   
This one was in the basement of a coffee house and I think they really mean 'staff' only.
My favorite - it was over the sink where we washed our hands.

I have new respect for the women I know who were missionaries in Hungary.  That includes a woman in our current ward, Mary's sister-in-law Katrina, and a young woman who has been serving there for a few months.   Looking at these signs makes me think that Spanish is easy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment