Monday, November 18, 2019

Angel's Landing

Last year Matt and his cousin Brent successfully did the hike to the top of Angel's Landing, one of the classic hikes in Zion National park.  I heard about the 'most stunning views you will ever experience' and decided that I did want to make the attempt to reach the top of Angel's Landing, even after I read descriptions like this:'This hike is not recommended for those who have a fear of heights. Angels Landing is a unique fin-like mountain formation that juts out to the center of the main canyon. The trail follows the narrow spine to the final viewpoint roughly 1500 feet above the canyon floor. This hike will take between 3-6 hours; your legs will burn, your knees may shake, and the view will take your breath away!'Here's another description: ' Angels Landing is an exposed hike along a narrow and precipitous rock formation. It is not recommended for small children or those with a fear of heights. Be polite, share the trail, and allow others to pass at safe spots.'Even though I had been planning on doing this hike for several month, I did have second thoughts because of my bad cold.  But when my sister-in-law Katherine said that she wanted to go on the hike, I decided that Yes I was going to do it too.  Having Katherine with me turned out to be a BIG plus.  We rested a lot and amused lots of people as we were definitely among the oldest people on the trail.  One fun guy called us ‘power hikers’…got a lot of good laughs at that one.  We said that we were going to get that printed on the back of our shirts.  
At first the trail follows the river and then does some long switchbacks.
After this part of the trail, you actually have a relatively flat hike until you come to 'Walter's Wiggles' which are a set of many compact switchbacks that takes the trail all the way up to the top of the ridge above Refrigerator Canyon.  A few more minutes and you are at Scout Lookout - a nice little viewpoint where you can get a good look at Angel's Landing and the main canyon below. 

Matt and Scott were way ahead of us since we rested for a minute at each switchback and also took lots of photos.  When the boys reached Scout Lookout and Scott saw the steep, exposed push to the top, he wisely decided that it wasn’t for him. He waited with Matt until we joined them and then hiked down and went for a horseback ride.  A much better choice for him since he inherited his Dad's feelings about heights!
This is the ridge you climb up to get to the top!

'The last half mile of the hike is what really ranks it as one of the nation's most dangerous and exhilarating. Angels Landing itself is a fin-like formation jutting 1,500 feet out of the canyon, and this is where you make the final 500-foot climb. You literally walk on the narrow spine of the mountain. Guardrails and chains bolted into the cliff help you keep from tumbling over the extremely steep ledge. You're literally living on the edge, and you don't want to trust the "angels" down there to catch you. There are many exposed sections where you can look down on both sides to the canyon below. All of the chains, guard-rails, and carved steps are provided to help ease the mind. And I guess they do!  There are also several areas suitable for resting if you want to pull over and catch your breath and let other people go by. If you have no mountain-climbing or exposed hiking experience, this hike can be quite intimidating. If you are overcome by panic at the first section of chains, do not continue any further. It doesn't get any better!'

I don't remember feeling any panic as we climbed but now that I look at the photos, I realize that there are parts that I have NO MEMORIES of whatsoever!  I must have just blocked out all the dangerous looking spots.  Because it was quite crowded, we didn't stop too often to take photos on the actual climb.  When I look at the photos on line, I just think WOW!  I can't believe I did this!

'After a fair amount of hiking and scrambling, you will make it up to the final viewpoint and all of the effort will be worth it; the view is simply stunning! Even though Angels Landing is significantly lower in elevation than the rims, you get an amazing 360-degree view that rivals any other viewpoint you will experience. If you have any snacks, this is the perfect place to relax and partake. But don't let the aggressively friendly chipmunks steal your sandwich!'
Here are a few photos from the internet to illustrate just how crazy of a hike this is. 

The 'most challenging part of the hike' definitely lived up to the name.  As the photos show, it was very exposed.  At some spots you could look down thousands of feet off either side of the pathway.  It was crowded which meant that there was a lot of waiting in line.  I was most thankful for the chains which gave me something to hang onto.
The views from the top are amazing! 


This is the spot that I don't remember at all on the way up. On the way down, Matt took photos of us.  I'm glad he did.
We talked to people from Belgium, the Netherlands,  Germany and all over the US.  Matt talked to some Spanish speaking people but didn’t ask which country they were from. 
 On the top 
Not bad for two 66 year old Grandmas! 
At the top the chipmunks were just as friendly/aggressive as we had been told.  They climbed on Katherine’s back, my backpack and ate out of our hands. It was so fun to see them grab a bite of granola and then go bury it.  It was on the way down that we noticed the signs that said, “$100 fine for feeding the wildlife.”.  Glad no one reported us! 
Even half way down the canyon the views are spectacular!
 I’m so glad I did it and so thankful for Matt. He was endlessly patient and helped us both through the hard parts by suggesting where to put our hands and feet. I don’t think I could have done it without him….in fact I wouldn’t have wanted to. 

And I’m thankful to have had this experience with Katherine too.  She really is the funniest person ever and such a wonderful buddy with whom to share adventures! 
John bought us shirts to proclaim our accomplishment to the world.  I think we earned them! 
That's Angel's Landing right in the middle of the photo.  Can you believe we hiked all the way up there?


No comments:

Post a Comment