Sunday, June 21, 2020

Another Week Down!

Starting back to church was the big excitement of the week.  I've gone out a few times to the store but I do always wear a mask.

Deseret Industries opened  for donations but it is 'by appointment only'.  I had to go on-line and get a ticket that said a specific time for my 'drop off'.  Actually I got 2 tickets for 2 different days.  Matt borrowed a truck and dropped off an old bed for me and then on Saturday, George and I dropped off a car load.  They told me that they had been super busy since reopening.  Lots of people used their 'stay at home' time to clean out!  They have lots of rules.  You have to sort you donations into 3 categories - clothes, electronics, or 'as-is'.  You pull up, stay in your car until directed forward and must wear a mask.  They prefer that you take things out of your car and put them in the appropriately labeled box without assistance, although the young workers did help us.  I guess they were being kind to the elderly!
My other two accomplishments this week were to go through our 72 hour emergency kits and update them.  Ours still had 'child sized' rain ponchos and since my baby is now 6 ft. 3in, I don't think those would help.  I have it all organized in our backpacks and one large container.  I even have each labeled with what is in each pocket and I've noted what needs to be rotated.  Miss Super Organized here! Now I need to move them to convenient shelves in the garage.  And if we ever have to use them, I'll be hoping that we can go by car.  The packs are a bit heavy!
 The other accomplishment was buying containers for all my 'keepsake' treasures and completing the inventory as to what is in each box.   When I am gone, I hope my children will appreciate this effort.   Now if they want to look at my papers from 1st grade or my mother's scrapbook from 1948 or see the cards George and I exchanged while dating, they will know exactly where to go.  Or if they get the sudden urge to wear a hat from the best barbecue place in the world, "The White Pig Inn", they can find it with ease!
The next weeks projects include digitizing all our 3000+ slides.  Is there a reason to pass on 20 photos of Alcatraz from 1979 or the San Francisco Aquarium or Yosemite?  My inclination is to keep the really good ones and throw the rest away. I have asked the kids to weigh in on this decision.  Of course I will preserve all the ones of 'people'....I've already found some real treasures there, like the ones I used in the Father's Day posts.  This project could take a LONG Time. I'm set in case we have to 'shelter in place' again!
One project that I'm really excited about is refinishing this little cabinet.  It was my mother's and is definitely not fine furniture.  She bought it to have in her kitchen and used it to store pop and chips.  Matt, my woodworking expert, thinks it was built in the 30s or 40s.  I love the old leaded glass.  I haven't done anything like this in years.  To make it look 'shabby chic' I'm using chalk paint and wax.  So far so good.  It helps that it doesn't have to look 'perfect'.  Little nicks give it character!  This one should be finished this next week.  Yeah!
I'm also just about to be totally caught up on the photo books I make after each trip that we take.  The Dubai Book is only a few days away from being finished.  With no trips on the horizon, this feels a bit sad but I am sure we will get to travel again someday....maybe not until after a vaccine but it will happen.
This week we are trying a social distancing ladies lunch.  It is bring your own lunch, a chair and meet at the park. 

 I may even go get a pedicure so I can wear my sandals with pride!

So life is still good and my days are busy with projects!



No comments:

Post a Comment