Monday, July 6, 2020

Cancer Update

 You may wonder why Scott's photo introduces my 'cancer update'.  Well it is a long and good story!
I had my 6 month checkup with my doctor at OHSU in Portland scheduled in late April but because of COVID-19 clinics were only seeing patients with emergent conditions so my appointment was rescheduled for June 24.  The plan was for George and me to drive over, stay in a hotel and go to OHSU for an ultrasound and CT scan and then see the doctor.  I would have my blood work here in Eagle.

My doctor, Dr. Madison, is fully booked at least 6 months out.  Can you imagine what it was like for his schedulers when they add to cancel almost 2 months of appointments and then reschedule them?  He had to add an extra day of clinic to his already full schedule.

The good news for me is that when my blood work came back it was excellent.  In fact, the calcitonin that is the marker for my type of thyroid cancer, had actually come down! After consulting with his nurse, we decided to schedule a phone conference with Dr. Madison.  During that conversation he decided that there was no need for me to drive over for scans because with my super low numbers, they wouldn't show anything.  So we cancelled the appointment.  Yeah!

George and I had been looking forward to seeing Scott when we were in Portland.  We hadn't seen him since Christmas and that is a long time.  So we had him fly over for a long weekend. That way he could see everyone!

It was perfect!  Way better than an ultrasound and CT scan!

Isabella was happy to see Uncle Scott!
We enjoyed lots of family time since there isn't much to do during a pandemic!
Family time is the best time!

No comments:

Post a Comment