Friday, October 29, 2021

Canyons

We often read that scenery in Iceland is truly dramatic!  The two canyons we explored certainly live up to that billing. 

The first one was Fjaðrárgljúfur Canyon.  That's another one of those words that I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce.  Naturally we called it the F Canyon.  It is called one of the best easy hikes in Iceland and I agree wholeheartedly.

I consider this one a 'must-see' on any Iceland itinerary.

It has a sort of 'Middle Earth' feel. Don't you agree?
If it looks familiar it might be because Justin Bieber shot a video here (and in other places in Iceland) in 2015.

 https://youtu.be/PfGaX8G0f2E.  

The canyon became such a tourist draw, that it had to be closed for a time.  The hordes of tourists were destroying the fragile ecosystem.  I'm sure glad it opened back up in time for us to visit. 
Studlagil Canyon was one of the places I most wanted to see in all of Iceland.  It didn't disappoint.
Not mossy green like the F Canyon!  This one's claim to fame are the basalt columns.
I so wanted to climb down into the canyon but it made me nervous.  Not that it was a really long drop, but it was wet, slippery mud.  I knew that I would forever regret it if I didn't go for it so I did it!
Yeah for me!
The view from the bottom was extraordinary!
And yeah for the kind young people who helped Grandma out!  I didn't feel too geriatric since they were helping each other out as well.
Little moments of bravery can make all the difference!


No comments:

Post a Comment