Saturday, January 8, 2022

'Perfect' Christmas

 Over the last few months, I have smiled every time I thought of our 2021 Christmas because the entire family would be together for the first time in several years.  Scott was going to drive over from Portland.  Mary and Jackson would be here for almost 3 weeks!  And Mark, our son-in-law who doesn't like traveling at all, was coming for several days. I envisioned making cookies, decorating gingerbread houses,  cousins playing happily together, adult games, delicious food, a beautifully decorated house, an Instagram worthy family photo!  A sort of modern day Norman Rockwell painting.  

Luckily with this glorious vision in my mind, I read an article about Christmas which encouraged lowering expectations.  This quote hit home, "Real magic happens when you forget grand ideals and embrace reality. And the reality is family Christmas will include cranky moods, tired behavior, and uncooperative adults."  As this sunk in, I remembered a talk I heard a few years ago.  The speaker said that while you won't have a 'perfect family', or in my case a 'perfect Christmas', you will most definitely have perfect moments

I am happy to report that the Lewis family did enjoy many perfect moments during Christmas 2021!

These two adorable grands were the heart of many of those moments!
They got along very well after they determined that I could be BOTH of their Grandmas and that Isabella was the fastest 6 year old and Jackson the fastest 3 year old.  And that there were plenty of toys to share!  
Among my greatest joys were watching them play together, hug each other good-bye multiple times, and hold hands as we walked.  

To be totally honest, I have to add that each of my kids, their spouses, and George were also essential for my "MERRY CHRISTMAS"!  It was the entire family that make the time so special! 

No comments:

Post a Comment